The Desi heart in all of us is very fond of the original Indian Sweet Dishes. One such all time favorite Indian Sweet is Rasmalai. This exotic Bengali dessert is forever welcomed by us. I have given a new and interesting twist to this Ageless Relish. Hope you like this new version of it and try the lip smacking recipe in your kitchen.
Preparation time: 1:30 Hours, Cook time: 20 mins. Serves: 4 to 6 persons
- Milk (Cow’s Milk/Low-fat): 2 litres
- Sugar: 150 gms (about 3/4th Cup for Syrup) + 25 gms (1/4th Cup)
- Whipping Cream: 250 gms
- Saffron: 1 tsp
- Green Cardamon: 5-6 pods
- Whole Wheat/White Bread: 1-2 Slice
- Dry Fruits: Cashew/Pistachio
- Butter/Ghee: 1 Tbsp
- Lime Juice: 1.5 to 2 tbsp
Step 1: Making Rasgulla
- Boil milk in a container with thick base, add lime juice when it starts boiling.
- The milk curdles well and water is completely separated
- Strain it through a muslin cloth
- Wash it with cold water once and squeeze water completely.
- Knead this paneer for about 5-10 mins and then make small balls.
On the other side,
1. Keep the size of the balls small, as they increase in size once soaked
2. In a deep pan take three cups of water and bring it to boil. Add 3 cardamon pods and 150 gms of sugar.
3. As it starts boiling add paneer balls and let it simmer for 10-15 mins.
4. The paneer balls will grow double the size which means the Rasgulle are now ready.
Rasgulle can be made and kept a day in advance too. This will save your time in preparing the dessert on a rush day.
Step 2: Preparing bread crumb layer
Crush 1 or 2 slices of bread with hand and in a small pan shallow fry it in ghee or butter till it is golden brown. Turn off the flame and add 2 tsp sugar. Since the pan must be hot the bread crumb will be crunchy and caramelized. Keep the mixture separately in a bowl to prevent from further cooking.
Step 3: Preparing the Cream
- Pour Chilled Whipping cream into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of Sugar, Kesar/Saffron and Cardamon Powder of about 2-3 pods
- Blend it well together
- Blend it till you see peaks forming
PS: Just in case you cannot get whipped cream from the market, you can use accumulated home made cream as well. Boil full cream milk and store it in refrigerator, this will form a thick layer of cream on the milk. Keep it separately in an air tight containers. Repeat the process for few days and you will get cream for whipping. Pls remember, while whipping the cream should be chilled. So use a tray filled with ice and keep the cream bowl on top and blend it. This step is particularly important if you are using home cream.
Step 4: Assembling the Rasmalai Cremé
We now have all the elements of the dessert ready. The final stage is to assemble and present this beautiful relish.
1. In a transparent (optional) shot glass or a small bowl, place a layer of Rasgulle at the bottom.
2. Add a layer of whipped cream over it.
3. Now evenly distribute bread crumbs as third layer.
4. Finally again add a small dollop of cream and garnish it with pistachios slices.
Serve this dessert cold and enjoy the hot summer!
This lip smacking recipe is not just treat for your eyes but also delightfully yummy and will definitely win your heart!