My previous post on Eggless Braided Bread, Babka received a lot of love and I’m very thankful to all my readers for that. With the same dough, you can also make similar delicacies which are very easy, simple yet very exotic. If you are not a Chocolate lover than this recipe is for you! Usually here in Germany, it is popular as Cinnamon rolls. In this version of Cinnamon rolls, we will make two types: One with some sweet spices and nuts, and others with chocolate and Nutella again. Just to attract kids and also the kid in us! I thought since I am an Indian, besides cinnamon, there are some particular spices that we use in our traditional sweet dishes, or rather our sweet dishes are incomplete without these spices. So why not use them here too! Moreover, what are sweet dishes without some dry fruits and nuts? These rolls are very simple to make. The difficult part is to let them rest for proofing once they are ready and to wait for another 20 mins for baking them to the perfection of the golden colour!
Serves 7 – 8 persons
Preparation time: 30-40 mins
Fermentation time: 2 hours
Baking time: 15-20 mins each time
Sweet Spicy filling
- Cinnamon powder: 1 tsp
- Nutmeg Powder: 1 tsp
- Cardamon Powder: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts: a handful
- Pistachios: a handful
- Butter: 2 tsp
- Condensed Milk: 1-2 tbsp
Filling for Chocolate Rolls
- Any Chocolate Spread – As required
- Dark Chocolate (about 60% dark) – 50 gms
For the Dough:
For the ingredients and recipe of the dough please refer to my previous blog post of Eggless braided Bread, Babka Please follow the steps under Yeast Fermentation and Preparing the dough.
So lets start with Spiced Sweet Rolls first. For this we have to make the filling ready.
Preparing the filling
- In a small bowl, add two spoons of granulated sugar, powdered cinnamon, powdered cardamon and powdered nutmeg
- Mix them together and keep the spiced-mixture aside.
- In a small pan add one tsp ghee/butter and add a handful of pistachios and cashews (or any other nuts as per your liking or availability).Roast it on a medium flame till they are fragrant.
- Finely chop them and keep aside .
Preparing the rolls
Hope your dough is ready to be rolled after proper fermentation.
- Take a ball from the dough and roll a long rectangular roti from it.
- Spread firstly, soften butter on the roti and then generously spread condensed milk on it.
- Next, sprinkle the spiced-mixture mix on it. Spare just about half a tsp of this spiced-mixture for later use.
- Similarly, next spread the finely chopped roasted nuts on it, again spare half a teaspoon of these chopped nuts for later use.
- With the help of a knife or pizza cutter make horizontal strips of it
- Now start rolling each strip individually
- Grease your baking tray and keep these rolls on the baking tray.
- Cover the tray with the cling wrap or a cloth and keep it aside for proofing of minimum half an hour.
Baking the Rolls
- Once the proofing is done, give all the rolls the milk wash (Brush them with milk) and sprinkle some sugar mix and remaining nuts mix on top of each roll.
- Bake it for 180 degrees on a pre-heated oven for about 15 mins or till they are golden brown
- Once they are out of the oven, brush it with the simple syrup and serve immediately.
As waiting is just not possible!
(check the recipe for Simple Syrup in my previous blog post Eggless braided bread, babka)
In exactly similar way chocolate rolls can also be made. The procedure for the same has been explained below.
- Take a small piece from the dough and roll it like roti but in an approximately rectangular shape
- Spread Nutella or any chocolate spread evenly on it.
- Now sprinkle chopped dark chocolate on it.
- Make horizontal strips with a knife or Pizza cutter. Roll each of these strips individually
- Let it rest for proofing for half an hour.
- Give it milk wash before baking
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees and bake it for about 15 mins or till they are golden brown
- Once they are out of the oven, brush it with the simple syrup and serve fresh.
Life is a celebration, celebrate it with sweets. The aroma, taste and appearance of these rolls are sure to give you the reason for a smile and lots of happiness! Everyone who tried Babka rejoiced the process and the experience of making and baking it. Moreover, this sweet is perfect for the kid’s birthday party and family get-togethers. It can be baked a day in advanced and stored. If you wish you can reheat in the microwave and they will be fresh again. Relish this sweet dish with your friends, family and children, you are sure to win accolades and loads of praise!!