Having like-minded friends makes life beautiful and inspiring! I am fortunate that I have many such doting friends who always motivate and encourage me and Vaishali is one of them! Vaishali was going to visit me for lunch and it was her loving instruction, that I should not indulge into cooking an exhaustive or elaborate meal. So I thought I should opt for a pot meal kind of relish, and instantly, Lasagne came to my mind. Then I thought that instead of making it simple and ordinary, I should make it innovative and interesting. This is something that I always attempt, even in a simple, tried and tested recipe I try to add a twist to it, and make it different than last time. Therefore, this time, I attempted a triple sauce, mac and cheese Lasagne. Vaishali relished it and I was very happy to see her contentment. In fact, she is the one who inspired me to write and post the recipe for this dish. Hence, this recipe post dedicate to her!
Serves 3-4 persons
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Baking time: 15-20 mins each time
- Lasagne Sheets: 10-12
- Macaroni pasta: 3/4th Cup
- Veggies as per your choice: I used the following
- Broccoli florets: about 3/4th Cup
- Capsicum dices: half cup
- Sweet corn: Half Cup
- Olives slices(Black/Green) about 3 tbsp
- Jalapenos slices: 2 tbsp
- Onion diced: 1 small/medium
For Red Sauce
- Tomatoes: 3 medium
- Onion: 1 medium
- Chopped Garlic: half tbsp
- Oregano: 1 tsp
- Dried Basil:1 tsp
- Crushed black pepper: half tsp
- Oil: 2 tbsp
- Salt: as required
For Garlic Oil:
- Olive oil: 4 tbsp
- Finely chopped garlic: 1 tbsp
- Dried herbs of your choice: 1 tsp
For White Sauce
- Butter: 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour: 1 tbsp
- Cream: 2 tbsp
- Cheddar Cheese: 2 cubes/slices
- Black Pepper and salt for seasoning
- Fresh Basil: handful
- Pine-nuts/Walnuts:20 – 25 gm
- Garlic: about 15 gm
- Olive oil: 3-4 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese: 1 tbsp
- Salt: as required
- (PS. You can buy the above ingredients directly from amazon marketplace from the following links –
- Lasagna Sheets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FR6XFI6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=myartyard-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00FR6XFI6&linkId=cbce425eb3b6163a11cb7970bbbee2c8
- Macaroni Pasta: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00338BVF4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=myartyard-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00338BVF4&linkId=ebe407ad369f2b3d2b9fbb3974bfa87b
- Olive Oil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046XESXW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=myartyard-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B0046XESXW&linkId=d4f8bf62d7c81fd041d7214a6b05a009
- Pesto Sauce: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLCVFPF/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=myartyard-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07DLCVFPF&linkId=94a74990d0ced39987c9953d89f49c19
- Parmesan Cheese: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RPVQC4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=myartyard-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000RPVQC4&linkId=ac66f1a2b5d1c375449a3cf08c3b28cd
This recipe has many components to it. We are making combination of three sauces with macroni and veggies. Therefore to make this recipe simple lets first understand all the components of it. Individually all the components are very simple and easy. We will start with Red Sauce.
- In a hot pan add oil and thereafter onion dices and garlic. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- As onion changes colour add tomato dices.
- Add the seasoning like salt herbs and pepper.
- Saute on medium flame till everything is cooked evenly. You can use the sauce at this consistency as well or grind it into a fine paste.
Add finely chopped garlic and herbs into olive oil (in absence of olive oil any other oil can be used).
White Sauce and Macaroni
Add macaroni or any other small-sized pasta in boiling water with a tbsp of oil and salt in it for about 10 mins on medium flame. On the other side, let’s start making White Sauce for Macaroni.
- In a hot Pan add butter, as it starts melting add all purpose flour and saute it for a minute
- Add about 1/4th cup water of boiled pasta and mix it well. (The water has flavor of Pasta oil and salt so I highly recommend using the same water for the sauce)
- Add fresh cream and mix well
- Add cheese
- Add seasonings and keep some sauce aside
- In the rest of the sauce add boiled Macaroni and mix well. Remove from the flame after about a minute or so.
Green Sauce/Pesto Sauce
- You can purchase Pesto Sauce from the market else it can be easily made at home. In a mixer pot add garlic, fresh basil leaves, pinenuts/walnuts, parmasan cheese, olive oil, salt as required and grind everything together. Pesto Sauce is ready.
Getting the Veggies ready
Cut medium sized florets of broccoli and blanch them and keep aside. Also steam or blanch sweet corns. Cut dices of capsicum and onions, cut olives and jalapenos too.
Boiling Lasagne Sheets
- Boil water in a large container with heavy base. Add little salt and oil to it
- As the water starts boiling add lasagne sheets. Make sure you do not add more than 3-4 sheets at a time.
- With the help of a tong make sure you are keeping sheets separated in water, because if they stick to each other than your lasagne sheets can tear apart.
- After about 7-8 mins of cooking check whether the sheets are cooked by pressing or cutting the corner of the sheet. If they are cooked well, take it our carefully and keep it on a greased platform or tray. If you want to place sheets on top of each other make sure you grease them too.
Assembling and Baking the Lasagne:
- In your baking tray, first of all, spread some garlic oil at the bottom. Then spread the sheets as required.
- Brush small amount of garlic oil on the sheets, now spread the macaroni, blanched florets and sweet corn on it. Now spread some Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese on it. Lightly season it with salt and pepper.
- Cover it with pasta sheet and spread little garlic oil evenly on the sheets
- Spread all the veggies now and sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- On the veggies spread the red sauce and both the cheese evey.
- Now again Cover it with the sheets.
- Spread the garlic oil, veggies, sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Now spread Pesto sauce evenly on the veggies.
- Again add both the cheese and cover it with the pasta sheets.
- Repeat spreading garlic oil, veggies, seasoning, and cheese on the last and final layer.
Bake your Lasagne for about 20 mins and serve it warm. Ganish with garlic oil and fresh Basil leaves. Like my guest , your guest would also agree this is the best and the most flavorful Lasagne they ever had!