“Mumma, I had world’s best Cookies!”, this was the reward I got from an adorable young lady when she had Coconut – Choco Chips Cookies. I was absolutely overwhelmed by her reaction.
One of my dear friend Sayalee called me in the afternoon and requested me to look after Avni her darling daughter for a couple of hours in the evening. I agreed immediately as Avni not just gets along well with my sons but even I am too very fond of this adorable little lady. When she came, as always she had lots and lots to tell me and I enjoyed listening to this bundle of joy. As she got busy playing with my kids, I was thinking what special dish should I treat her with? Since she came on a short notice, I lacked time to prepare something for her in advance. While pondering for a simple and easy recipe which every child loves, I thought to make chocolate chip cookies. But because I have a habit of adding a twist in the recipes I thought of adding one of my favorite flavor to it – Coconut. And the way outcome was admired, you are already aware of now!
Serves 5-6 persons
Preparation time: 30 mins
Freezing time: minimum 1/2 an hour to 1 hour
Baking time: 20 mins
- All purpose flour: 1 and 3/4 Cup
- Salt: half teaspoon
- Baking Powder: 1 tsp
- Corn flour: 2 tbsp
- Instant fine coffee powder: 1 tsp
- Freshly prepared and cooled Ghee/Clarified Butter: little less then 1 Cup
- Powdered Brown Sugar or powdered Jaggery: 1 Cup
- White powdered Sugar: 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla Essense: 1 tsp
- Shredded Dry Coconut : half Cup
- Choco-chip (bittersweet): 100gm
- Chocolate Sprinkles for garnish
While making this recipe I used freshly made ghee by using the 1 cup unsalted butter available at home, therefore the ghee was little less than one cup. Since I stay in very cold region, ghee started solidifying in 15-20 mins. If you live in warm region you can refrigerate it for half an hour.
In the mean while, dry roast shredded coconut on low heat and a few minutes till is aromatic. Remove from the flame and keep aside.
Mixing the Wet Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl add all the wet ingredients and blend it, till it’s light and fluffy. The colour of the mixture would turn pale and you would get soft peaks, this is your clue to stop beating.
Adding Dry Ingredients to the Mixture
- 1 & 2. Sift the dry ingredients mix to the bowl gradually and keep blending.
- 3. Once you add all your dry ingredients mix, it’s time to get your hands dirty. Bring together your mixture to make a dough
- 4. Now add choco-chips and shredded coconut.
- 5. Now make small bite sized balls and gently press. Brush the top of the cookies with little milk
- 6 & 7. Garnish with coconut shreds and chocolate sprinkles.
- 8. Cover it with a cling wrap and refrigerate it for minimum one hour or overnight and then bake it at 180 degree Celsius for 20 mins in a pre-heated oven. Make sure that while baking it you keep them well apart, as they will grow almost double in their size.
Your Oven fresh, cookies are ready in no time. It will woo children as well as adults with its aroma, taste and texture. Crispy cookies with softness of chocolate and sweetness of coconut will melt in mouth. Serve fresh with coffee or milk. It is delicious answer to the tiny cravings of the evening time! I won smiles of the baccha party of my house. You too can bring twinkles in the eyes of your young charmers as well as your coffee time friends.